Michel Gassier "Lou Coucardie" Rouge 2012
(Costieres de Nimes, Languedoc Roussillon, France) - [WA 93] [VM 92]
Regular price $38.00 Sale price $29.97 Save $8.03
6-PACK PRICE = $28.97 per item (add 6+ quantity to your basket)
12-PACK PRICE = $27.97 per item (add 12+ quantity to your basket)
This experimental cuvée represents the essence of my work as a winemaker. I seek to explore uncharted territories, with the hope of finding the most original expression of my terroir. Baptized after an old regional tradition of bull games, “Lou Coucardié” is that fierce male bull defending a set of horn attributes in a crowded arena. Strong and courageous, he represents the ideal of his race.
TERROIR: rolled pebbles and red clay. AOC Costières de Nîmes.
APPELLATION : Costières de Nîmes
VARIETALS & DISTINCTIONS : vary by vintage. For more information, please refer to our fact sheet.
- selection of parcels of old vines with naturally small yields
- manual harvest with double sorting and incorporation of whole cluster (30%)
- skin contact maceration at cold temperature for fruit extraction
- long macerations & manual punching down of the cap
- malolactic fermentation in once used barrels
- aging in neutral French oak barrels on lees for 12 to 18 months
- one single bottling run without filtration
- Appearance: its dark color, almost black, announces a wine of great concentration.
- Nose: powerful and extremely complex, it displays a wide array of aromas such as dark berries, spices, eucalyptus and vanilla welded in great harmony.
- Taste: rich and velvety, without being heavy, this wine pulls its finish in a aerial display of fresh fruits and ripe tannins.
Ratings & Reviews
"More ripe and decadent than the 2013, the 2012 Costières de Nîmes Lou Coucardie (49% Mourvèdre, 35% Grenache and the balance Syrah) is a big, mouth-filling effort that gives up loads of chewy black raspberry, black currants, smoked earth and pepper. Full-bodied, concentrated and dense, yet still showing elegance and purity, it has some rustic tannin that needs a year or two to integrate and will be at its best from 2016-2024." - Jeb Dunnuck (Jan 2015)
"Deep ruby. Black raspberry, vanilla, black pepper and candied flowers on the highly fragrant nose. Offers palate-staining, oak-spiced red berry, cherry compote and floral pastille flavors that show noteworthy energy and a minerally topnote that builds with air. Rich yet vibrant and energetic, delivering impressive closing thrust, slow-building tannins and a persistent lavender note." - Josh Raynolds (Jun 2016)
Wine Spectator Magazine:
"This is laced with cinnamon and black tea notes, while the core of lightly mulled black cherry and plum fruit takes a back seat. Offers a reserved, silky finish. Drink now. 1,000 cases made." - JM (Dec 2014)