Domaine Coche-Dury Hospices de Beaune "General Muteau" Volnay 1er Cru 2018 (Burgundy, France)

Domaine Coche-Dury Hospices de Beaune "General Muteau" Volnay 1er Cru 2018
(Burgundy, France)

Regular price $1,500.00 Sale price $1,299.97 Save $200.03

Only 1 items in stock!
The Hospices de Beaune is a top-level wine estate covering 60 hectares, of which 85% are in premiers crus and grands crus areas. The wines of the Hospices de Beaune (referred to as cuvées) often bear the name of the family who donated the plots of vines whose grapes go into the composition of the wine. This tradition dates back to 1457, when Jean Guillotte le Verrier made the first donation of vines to the Hôtel-Dieu built by Nicolas Rolin in Beaune in 1443. This custom continued through the centuries and endures today. Making a donation of vines to the Hospices is a way for the patients or their family to thank the institution, ensure its longevity and, also, to go down in history themselves!

Paul-Jules Muteau (1856-1927) was a distinguished cavalry officer, who was promoted to Général in 1914 and became staff officer of Général Foch during World War I. He was also a Member of the Légion d’Honneur (Grand Croix). He bequeathed an important estate to the Hôtel-Dieu in 1926, including the Domaine of Laborde-au-Château alongside many donations to the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris. This Cuvée is made up from 5 superbly-placed Volnay Premier Cru. Only 5 barrels are produced annually.

An obvious indicator of their quality is the fact that 85% of the Domaine des Hospices vines are classified as premiers crus and grands crus. The remaining 15% are classified as ’appellation village’. For many years now, the Domaine’s vineyards have been cultivated taking a sustainable, environmentally-friendly approach (no chemical inputs), and even according to organic principles when the conditions over the year allow it, as they did in 2018.

Tasting Notes:

Bright purple in color. Nose with lively raspberry fruit and intensity, a hint of licorice. A rather firm and dense mouth that does not remove the wine’s nice subtlety.

Food pairing; Serrano ham, braised chicories, lasagnes, roasted veal.