Quinta Do Vallado Douro Red 2021 (Portugal) 500mL - [JS 90]

Quinta Do Vallado Douro Red 2021
(Portugal) 500mL - [JS 90]

Regular price $31.00 Sale price $15.97 Save $15.03

About the Winery:
Over the course of 300+ years, since 1716, Quinta do Vallado has been producing excellent wines in Portugal’s Douro Valley. It is one of the oldest and most famous wineries in all the Douro, started by the legendary Doña Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, and still belongs to the same family today. It is a sixth-generation winery, currently owned by João Ferreira Alvares Ribeiro and Francisco Ferreira. The estate produced Port wines exclusively, until the 1990’s when it expanded production into dry wines.

Vallado has 250 acres of its own vineyards in two sub-regions of the Douro. They are comprised 100-year-old field blend vines, single variety plots and certified organic vineyards. The terraced vineyards are hand-harvested with one row of vines trained to a double cordon trellising system, allowing for good drainage, air flow and erosion control.

Notes From the Winemaker:
TASTING NOTES: Concentrated with intense mature red fruit aromas, hints of violets and “esteva” (a local Portuguese resinous bush). The wine offers good structure, with matured round tannins and a long, persistent finish.
VITICULTURE: 80% of the Douro Red blend grapes come from vines planted in the 1990’s and the remaining 20% are from old vines, between 60-100 years in age.
VINIFICATION: The grapes were fermented in 2,600- and 1,300-gallon stainless steel tanks for a week. All wines were fermented under controlled temperature varying between 73.4 – 77 F. 90% of the wine is aged for 8 months in stainless steel tanks. The remaining 10% is aged in used French Oak barrels (3rd & 4th year) for 16 months, until final blending.
GRAPE(S): a blend of Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, and Sousão.
ALCOHOL: 13.5%

Ratings & Reviews:

90 Points - James Suckling
"Ripe dark berries here with spiced chocolate, cloves and cinnamon. Some wet slate minerality, too. Medium-bodied with vivid acidity, giving it freshness and crunchiness. Tannins are fine and supple. Juicy and easy to drink. A blend of touriga franca, touriga nacional, tinta roriz, sousao and old vines of field blend. Drink now." (Apr 2023)