Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013 Single Malt Scotch Whisky (750 mL) [WA 94,

Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013 Single Malt Scotch Whisky
(750 mL) [WA 94, #9 Top 20 Of 2022]

Limit: 2 per customer
Regular price $199.99 Sale price $69.97 Save $130.02

Only 8 items in stock!
Notes from the Distillery:
Our Islay barley series has always been a mission. For many years now we’ve sought to showcase the phenomenon of “terroir” in single malt whisky – the belief that soil, climate, micro-climate, geographic orientation, natural influences and local weather systems will influence the quality and flavor profile of the spirit, making it a unique expression of ‘place’.

Bruichladdich Islay barley 2013 is distilled from barley grown on eight western and central Islay farms in 2012. This single malt is made from 100% Islay-grown concerto barley. Distilled in 2013, 75% of the whisky was aged in first-fill American whiskey barrels, with the remaining 25% aged in European wine casks that once held Ribera del Duero, Syrah, and Pauillac wines.

Technical Data

Malting: Unpeated
Aged: 8 years
Bottling: Islay spring water, nob-chill filtered, and coloring free
Strength: 50% ABV

Tasting Notes:

Nose: clean and close to the raw materials. Barley, sourdough bread, hints of moss and grass. Very fresh, with some banana and lemon sweetness (lemon meringue), vanilla pastry and honey in the background. Hints of nectarine. Then light coastal notes and dried wildflowers. Additional mineral notes come out after a drop of water.

Mouth: oily arrival, with a similar freshness and focus on barley. A lot of cereals, porridge and bready notes, with toffee sweetness and vanilla. Mid-palate it gets slightly sharper, showing hints of ginger and grasses. White pepper. Then hints of liquorice roots in the background, with a light vegetal bitterness. Mineral notes grow stronger over time, alongside heather and a subtle earthy touch.

Finish: rather long, earthy and ‘green’. Herbal tea with a hint of tonic water and grapefruit peels. (From WhiskyNotes)


94 Points, #9, Whisky Advocate Top 20 Of 2022

"This expression, now in its eighth edition, showcases Bruichladdich’s commitment to Islay terroir. It’s an 8 year old in a world of double-digit age stated scotch, but you’ll never accuse this delightful whisky of being too young. Sweet biscuity aromas along with ripe peaches and pears lead to a creamy palate of lemon cake, candied orange, nougat and vanilla, all balanced by the wood influence and hints of salinity. Water brings out sweet nectar and honey. The finish is graceful, long, and lively, making this a truly memorable dram."

94 Points - Vinepair

"Fruity on the nose with bursts of cranberries and redcurrants, this single malt was truly showcases terroir. The quality and profile of the Islay barley shine as the nose and palate come together in perfect harmony. Perfect for your favorite Scotch lover."

"Very clean and approachable. Fantastic oily mouthfeel with a proper malty base. There’s some gentian root, lemon pith, ginger and green pepper, but also melons, a whiff of peach and fennel. Water brings out a sweeter side, highlighting honey and brown sugar.
Bitter lemon peel and honey with lingering herbs. I don't care that this is young (and neither should you), it's simply very good whisky. The Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2013 is crisp and clean yet has a distinct traditional quality about it. Recommended!" - Words Of Whisky